Monday 11 May 2009

EVENT: Event Day Part 2

I arrived in the Work Experience Room (Upstairs in the Gatehouse) in the middle of the Charlie Brooker clip that was shown as part of our intro:-


I think the Gatehouse talks went well Mike’s introduction was great and I think he’s particularly good at public speaking and being able to think on his feet. He’s also very funny which makes his presentations great to watch for us as well as the visiting students. I was supposed to be the first person to do my presentation however because my video was still sitting on a computer that wasn’t connected to the widescreen tv Balve did his presentation before me…

I think Balve’s presentation was great he showed a good clip of Friday Night with Jonathan Ross which featured his interview with Chris Moyles, his Powerpoint had some good visuals but I don’t think he used all the stills he had taken which was a shame. Balve is an extremely confident public speaker and I think he extremely well, which was expected. You can see the episode that Balve worked on here:-


Jakes presentation was on the company Benderspink and was also a powerpoint presentation with a youtube video showing a clip from American pie a Benderspinks production. I found Jake’s presentation was extremely interesting as most people are interested in the inner workings of Hollywood and his story was particularly interesting for people who want to do scriptwriting and also to demonstrate that it is far from impossible to get your work out into Hollywood. Jake provided some helpful information for the students as well as being entertaining.
When it came time for my presentation I showed them the Bath Film Office video, I was a bit worried that my presentation would not be as interesting as the others since they were about scriptwriting in Hollywood, the jonathan ross show and the special effects company the mill. As the video was playing I noticed some problems in the edit that were only slight and not as bad as I had anticipated. I think a few of the students noticed too. I’m usually nervous during presentations but I think of all the presentations I’d done this one I felt the most comfortable, potentially because I was making it up as I went along and the worries of sticking to a script weren’t bothering me, so potentially I think I will try and be less scripted in my presentations.

I will upload a version of bath film office that doesn’t break copyright laws soon, as I included some clips from The Duchess and Chocolat.

I think on the second groups run through, the group themselves were less receptive and didn’t laugh much but this is potentially just because they were a bit tired. I think that Mike, Balve and Jake did a better job on their presentations, however I think when it came to mine I was not as keen on doing it, I’d done it once and put slightly less effort but I doubt it was noticeable. For the second run through I wanted to changed my order from being last to going 3rd as I didn’t think Bath Film Office was such a great video to end on as there was less to talk about if we needed to fill the time.

We had to fill the time often which I think Mike did the best, leading off and asking the students questions trying to get them involved there seemed to bit a bit of reluctance on their part and I think if we had a bit more experience in dealing with these situations that we would have been better off as I think a discussion type setting was definitely a good thing to have.

We took the students to the Student Union for a 15 minute lunch break. This caused a massive disaster as now the students were free to roam we had a hard time getting them back into the two groups for the campus tour. Eventually Mike and Jake led a group of about 9 people in a tour which left Reuben, Balve and myself with a group of 20 people for the tour. Luckily our CRB ambassadors Sian and Gemma were happy to take over the tour.

And that was the end of the event, it happened fairly quickly and I have to admit that I was glad it was over although it wasn't nearly as bad or disastrous as it could've been, apart from the tour going slightly wrong I think it was mostly successful.

No comments: